I caught an episode of Million Dollar Decorators on Bravo last night. Have you seen this show?
Here are some thoughts:
1. If you ever want to hire a designer/decorator, DO NOT let your husband see this show. It will confirm all of his worst fears about doing such a thing. And it will do it very quickly. Insane budgets, insensitive behavior, crazy people, etc… He won’t be able to differentiate between these designers who are working for extremely rich people and who you would hire, who are used to working with people who have budgets. And as for the crazy: we all have family for that. Who needs to hire it?
2. Mary McDonald is very beautiful. Her reaction to her client’s impending divorce – not so much. But I’m hoping that Bravo’s editing is the culprit. I may be hoping in vain, if the rumor about her being the inspiration for Karen on Will & Grace is true.
3. Martyn Lawrence Bullard did complete a very cool pad for Sharon Osborne on this episode. And I would have liked to see more projects and less personal stuff. Mr. Bullard’s attitude towards those in the trenches with him when he was on his tight deadline was fairly awful. Once again, we can hope that those editing gremlins at Bravo are to blame. If they aren’t, he needs an attitude adjustment.
3. What’s with the three names? Mr. Bullard and Mr. Marks should lose the three name thing. In America, white men with three names are usually serial killers.
4. I am pre-disposed to like Nathan Turner and Jeffrey Marks (that’s right, I got rid of the 3 name thing for him) because they own Labradors. I have issues.
5. The producers at Bravo must have peed themselves in happiness when they met Kathryn Ireland. Her entire household seems like something a TV writer would dream up.
6. These decorators may become famous/more famous from doing this show. But they are not doing your local, hard working designer any favors with it.
So, are you watching? What do you think? I’m going to try not to watch, but I can’t promise anything. It’s hard not to get sucked in! I have managed to resist the fake housewives for many years now, so maybe I will be successful.